There are so many things I remember about that day.
The 2 hour ride to the Detroit, airport... The incredible mountain of luggage we had, and having to step over to the side and try to do some re-packing because one of our bags was over-weight. I remember that I just left a huge bottle of hair conditioner with my Mom, to finally make things work out right. I remember that the air attack on Kuwait had just happened, and because of that, security was unusually high, and that, we didn't realize until we were there, that we would have to say "Good-bye" to my parents out there, near the ticket counters before going through security. (I'm sure that is hard to believe in this world of post 9/11, but it was normal to actually go all the way to the gate area and wait with people, who were flying.)
I remember what I was wearing, a straight, light blue corduroy skirt, cream colored blouse with a scarf, and a sweater. The girls each had new dolls, they were carrying, and all 3 had back-packs and carry-on bags. It was a LONG day. One filled with excitement, at the "new adventure" we were on, but also filled with a lot of "un-knowns". Saying "good-bye" to loved ones... this was all in the days before internet... email... Skype... Vonage... Facebook. Letters (actual write on paper and hold in your hand, letters!) took on an average of 2 weeks to make it to us here. Phone service was unpredictable and costly.
I don't remember anything really about the flight, (there have been so many since they all kind of run together)... I don't remember much about Miami airport, where we had to change planes, and I believe we had to claim our luggage and re-check it... UGH! We are talking 10 large 70 lb. bags, plus 5 carry-on bags, and 5 "personal items"... I think Mandie and Ashley, did fairly well, carrying their own bags... (this was also before "rolling bags" were very common! I know! Really who can remember that?!) Lex, was very little, just 2 1/2, so I'm pretty sure she wasn't up to carrying very much. I don't remember if I found a pay phone and called my parents or not. (oh yeah, and this was also before the time that everyone had a cell phone!) I'm thinking I didn't...
We arrived in Quito, got through immigration and customs... always a bit nerve wrecking, in it's craziness... then we came out of the airport. The Quito airport at that time, didn't have an inside waiting area around the international exit. You exited right outside. There was this chain link fence, that was there, and people were all pushed up against it looking for a glimpse of their party. We came out into all this chaos, looking for a familiar face and not seeing any. We had the guys pushing our luggage carts, to just pile it all up on the side walk... I had the girls sitting on the bags, everyone watching these gringos. A couple young men came up and started talking to Tony, we had no idea who they were, they seemed to know us, and to be honest, even though I had spent a year in language school, my Spanish, especially under stress, was not good. :D Anyway, ends up they were from the church in Quito, Nikolay and his brother, Franchisco. I think Nikolay, went into the terminal and called our friends. Remember, this is all before internet and cell phones. We evidently hadn't communicated well which airline we were coming in on. They thought we were arriving on a different airline, around 10:00pm, when actually we arrived around 8:00pm. I honestly don't know why those young men were even at the airport at that time! I just know God had them there, because we had no way of contacting anyone... no Ecuadorian money to make a phone call... no phone number to call! LOL! I remember our friends, pulling up in their van. It was so good to see them! We loaded all our stuff into their van, and were off to the place where we would be staying for a few days.
One of the last things I remember about that day, is that the people where we were staying had a "direct-dial" phone, (I didn't even realize how incredible that was!) and I was able to call my parents to let them know that we arrived. I remember, it was so good to hear their voices, and to be able to let them know we had arrived safe and sound....I remember feeling excited to be here, yet at the same time anxious about the next steps.
One thing, I can say, looking back, that while the journey has not always been easy, God has been faithful. All the time. At every turn.
Sunday, February 11, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment