Welcome

I would love to invite you into my home to have a cup of tea with me. We could sit in my sunny kitchen and talk about all the things that are going on in our lives. I could share with you the news I hear from my grown daughters. How my grandkids are growing. We could laugh together over the funny things that they have said. It would be fun to share the ins and outs of our family life, and talk about our latest creative projects. We could share what God has been teaching us, in our personal lives, and encourage each other on this walk of faith. We could pray together, laugh together, and even cry together. Since most of us will never be able to sit down together face to face, I would like to invite you to join me here. So come on in and have a cup of tea with me.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Joy

Joy

About Me

Crossville, Tennessee, United States
Hi, I'm Joy! I'm the creator behind Memory Mosaic. I believe every life is a beautiful mosaic, built from moments both ordinary and extraordinary. Thanks for stopping by—I hope you'll find inspiration here to celebrate, preserve, and share your own stories.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Saturday, October 13, 2012

What's Been Happening in My Kitchen?

We have lived in Ecuador now for almost 24 years.  During that time, I've learned to adapt almost all of my recipes.  There are very few mixes and I'm sure if you walked down the "can goods" aisle at our grocery store you would be shocked and how little there really is there.  Learning to cook everything from scratch was a must.

While cooking in this way has it's advantages, as I'm sure it is probably healthier for you and usually the flavor is great, it does add a lot of prep and cooking time.  Years ago when our 3 older girls were still at home, I found a book entitled, Make A Mix.  I was so excited to find it and we made up and used quite a few of the mixes.  As they left home, and Tony, Teddy and I moved to Manta, I got out of the habit of making them.  For one thing, anything with shortening already incorporated in it, just did not hold up in this climate.  Also since I wasn't teaching full-time anymore, there was not as much pressure on my time.  

Adding 2 more little ones to the family and getting to a point in our Home Schooling, where our school days are becoming longer, my time for meal planning and prep less.  So about a month ago I dug out the old cookbook and started searching on-line and found a ton of ideas.  Also I searched around the kitchen and came up with almost enough jars and containers for everything.  I only needed to purchase 4, to not only do my new mixes but re-organize all my baking essentials!  So this week not only did a get a lot of new mixes and meal prep help, I also finally got my kitchen organized in a way that I think will be more workable.  :-)


Here is a website where I got the ideas for the labels and tags.  She even has downloads if you want to use her labels and recipe tags.   I thought about using them, but decided to just make my own, as I wanted to make it work for me.   


She also has several recipes too.  

Here is another site that has lots of recipes.  I used her "Quick Mix" recipe, because it doesn't have shortening incorporated into it, and that means that I don't have to keep it in the freezer in this climate.  I also
 made her "Yellow Cake Mix". 


I also made up some of these, Chocolate Cake Mixes.  This recipe was given to me years ago by a close friend.  It does have shortening in the mix, so I keep these in my freezer.  If you live in a cooler, drier climate that probably wouldn't be necessary. 

Chocolate Cake Mix
2 Cups flour
1-3/4 Cups sugar, (superfine if available)
3/4 Cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons shortening

Mix until no chunks of shortening are visible.  Store in an airtight container.  This is equal to one cake mix.  I put mine in "zip-lock" bags.  

To Make Cake Add:  
1-1/3 Cups water
1/2 Cup oil
3 large eggs

Blend with cake mix in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened, increase speed to medium and beat 2 more minutes.

Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 33 minutes for 9-in pans, and 35 to 38 minutes for 13x9 in pan.  You can also make cupcakes.  They take 19 to 22 minutes.

I also made a Corn Bread Mix, Hot Roll Mix, Brownie Mix, Muffin Mix, Pudding Mixes, and some "Slice and Bake" cookies, that I put in the freezer, all from the Make-A-Mix cookbook.  If you are interested in the book you can find at on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Make---Mix-Karine-Eliason/dp/0762426020/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350183823&sr=1-1&keywords=make+a+mix  
It is even available in Kindle Format! ;-)

Not only is it full of recipes for mixes, but also tons of recipes to use the mixes in. :-)

If you would like to download my labels and recipes, (for using the mixes I made) click on the link below:


Happy Baking!




  

No comments: